Who are MND Advisors?
MND Advisors are qualified health and community care professionals with specific knowledge and experience related to MND. This support is available to:
- people who have MND
- family members
- carers and other people close to the person living with MND
- health and community care providers.
What do MND Advisors do?
- Provide information for people recently diagnosed with MND, their families and carers.
- Support the person living with MND, their family and carers by maintaining contact through home visits, telephone and email.
- Assist people living with MND to identify what services they need or may need.
- Provide referral and assistance for timely access to health and community services.
- Assist with access to MND NSW equipment/assistive technology, support groups, carer education, information sessions and volunteer assistance where available.
- Give information about, and liaise with, MND multidisciplinary clinics and services.
- Advocate on behalf of people with MND and their carers.
- Build networks with health and community care providers and provide information and education on MND.
Each MND Advisor is allocated an area of Sydney and/or NSW/ACT to be their primary focus. This enables them to develop local knowledge of the services available in their region and to create a network of contacts within these services. They periodically visit regional areas.
They can also advise you with how you can access Government support for you.
You can contact your MND Advisor by calling 1800 777 175 (NSW, ACT and NT).